Thursday 23 June 2011

A prophet has no honour in his home town.

This week the Parliamentarians and other Constitutional Office Holders received a salvo from the Taxman.  Pay your taxes in arrears or we send you auctioneers!!  During the pre-referendum era, many politicians tried to encourage the Church leaders to enter an MoU with the Principals to ensure our objections are taken care of once the Constitution is passed.  This is because, they too were objecting to the passing of the Constitution, because they would be taxed.  They had a famous meeting where the President assured them that they would not be taxed until the next time round when elections are held.  Now the Tax-man is calling, and the Principals are quiet.  As the elders said it, "Wametulia kama maji ya mtungi!"

The immediate former Chief Justice is the one who swore the President into office at dusk.  The Chief Justice demoted the then Registrar Christine Meoli and sent her back to the Trenches of the Court Corridors.  He embarked on building himself a glorious court in Milimani, only now for Willy Mutunga to occupy it!  The Ocampo 6 each played a role in the getting into power of the two Principals.  Now they are facing the music alone, with their Principals safely here one dosing away in State House and the other strategising on how to get into power next year!

I'm sorry if I come across today as being cocky, and sounding very "I-told-you-so" like, it is just that sometimes, one has to be reminded, hopefully they will learn from it.  My son is very Curious George cheeky. (If you don't know Curious George, search YouTube to see him in action.)  Every time there was a black out and we would light candles, my son would always keep us busy trying to keep him from the flickering flame.  One day there was a black out so we lit a candle.  He was drawn to the flame.  I kept saying to him, "don't touch, it is hot hot hot" he would back off whilst I was looking at him.  When he thought I was looking away, he put his little finger into the flame.  Well, he got burnt.  I looked back at him.  He had folded his burnt finger into his little fist, and had bit his lower lip and tears were welling up in his eyes.  When I asked what was wrong, he could not even talk, simply shook his head.  Finally he burst into wails and ran into my arms holding his little finger up.  I kissed and made it better, and he calmed down.  Suffice it to say, to date, I have not stopped using candles, but I have never had to tell him to not put his finger in the candle, he knows what it means.

Whenever you warn someone of impending danger, sometimes they do not heed the warning, simply because they know you too well.  They have seen you in your failings and your sufferings, there is no way to convince them that there is any authority behind your warning.  I must admit, one must test every word, lest you be misguided into doing something very foolish.  However, I am now very proud of the stand the Church took.  Since this Constitution was passed, things have been unfolding and the reaction is sometimes shock and disbelief.  One of my life's mantras is "Those who fail to learn from history are duty bound to repeat it."  Whenever we raise objections or make noise, it is because we have looked at other people who had the same glorious promises being made to us made to them.  Now in hindsight, they wish they had left it alone.  The only consolation is it may be a shock to others, but for me, I simply sip my tea and look at it from a distance.  One day, they may learn to listen to my voice.

Again, time to run pick the babies, sorry, big children (the Teacher said to not call them babies so I have to retrain my head to call them children!!)  Have a blessed time y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment