Tuesday 14 June 2011

If I had known then what I know now.

Its been a while since I blogged, mainly because I have been engaged in the Nation Building process.  When I was in school the loud mouth I was, I did a lot of public speaking.  One poem I did was "Building the Nation"  It was the story of a driver who's Principal (everyone is using this word these days to mean Boss!) was a Permanent Secretary who drove to all these nice places he could not enter, lovely restaurants he could not eat from and when he was done driving the wonderful vehicle, had none to take him home.  I have been trying to do my bit to make Kenya what I believe it can be, with limited success, but unending unwavering psyche on my part.

I went to County Hall together with other Christian Professionals to articulate our position on the nominations for the office of Chief Justice and Deputy Chief Justice.  Suffice it to say, our opposition to the nominations was not very popular.  In fact, I observed the time taken in cross examining presenters of a differing view was quite long. What bothered me was also the quality of the questions.  Sample this: -
"You object to Dr. Mutunga wearing an earring, and yet your Bishops wear long dresses and large necklaces?"
"You people think Abortion is not right, so whose life is more important, the Mother's or the Child's?"
"Even God tells us in the Bible if God be God serve Him and if Baal be god then serve him, what is wrong if we choose to serve Baal?  In fact, didn't your God also order Hosea to marry a prostitute?"

Now, this coming from Parliamentarians who have been given a presentation on ideology, activism and other concerns we had about the nominees, the tangent it took was very curious.  It seemed like the hangover from the August Referrendum.  The questions had nothing at all to do with what sent us to County Hall.  That was me and building the nation.

I have it firmly set in my mind, that going to parliament turns your brain to mush.  But I also have it firmly set in my mind, that I shall try my best to either get in their myself, or send men and women whose pedigree I well know.  I am fed up with the over-fed over-rich idiots whose arrogance to any view is nauseating.  I am also very fed up with sycophantic bootlickers who only pander to the whims and beckoning of their puppet masters.  I am well and truly fed up with the so-called Christians in parliament, who obviously sleep all through the sermons, only glean from it that which they can misuse.

As a devout practising Christian, I have been accused many times of being intolerant, prejudiced and bigoted.  What I have discovered and the conclusion I have arrived at, is those who level those accusations against me the loudest are themselves more bigoted, more prejudiced and more intolerant than I ever could be.  How else do you explain that not one question that came out of the panel drew from our numerous presentations, but instead focused on passing judgement against the Church as having no "moral authority" to comment on the matters at hand.

I have to go pick the children from school now.  Parting Shot:  Watch out if you are standing lest you too fall. A hand saw cannot cut one way, it must go forwards and be pulled backwards for it to cut.  What does this mean?  If you look at me and think I am misguided, look in the mirror, because the only one misguided is you.

2 comments:

  1. We need people of your caliber in Parliament, because I share the view that there's something in that house that turns their brains to mush. We need an exorcism or something as drastic as that. Christians are afraid to take their stand lest they appear too 'christian'. Saying that Bishops wear dresses and necklaces is a seriously impaired argument and it's time we took to Parliament a breed of people that are intellects, educated and committed to progressing the quality of life in this country. People who acknowledge that the law is not and should never be applied selectively, and people that will raise arguments and discussions we can all benefit from. Joy if you vie, I will be on your campaign team. We need power women like yourself to beat them back to line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one that took the cake (thought the Chair ordered it struck out of the Hansard) is a whole Professor, telling a presenter,

    "You told us you will take 5 minutes, you took 20 Minutes, doesn't that make you a liar? Therefore you have no moral authority to talk about Dr. Mutunga!"

    I was in shock and awe. The panel was distinguished professionally, but common sense was in precious little supply that sad day.

    ReplyDelete