Tuesday 5 July 2011

Is it "Cat out of the Bag" or is it "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?"

Over the last week, I have received questions on Facebook and Twitter by young lawyers about my position on studs and the dress code in Kenyan courts. To wit can lawyers appear before the Court wearing their studs? Because it is difficult for me to respond to each one of them individually, I wish to clarify my position here.

At this point, I can say that the Judges of the Supreme Court have agreed that we have no issues with anyone appearing before the Supreme Court, wearing their studs. Our position is that as long as officers of the court - both lawyers and judges can appear smart, a stud - or indeed dreadlocks - should not hinder the administration of justice.

At the Supreme Court, we shall not be wearing the colonial wigs and robes, and we shall seek the input of Kenyans on a simple robe that can be worn over a suit, for example. We will encourage the Court of Appeal and the High Court to review the dress code there. We will dialogue with them and the LSK and we expect the public to participate in the debate.

Willy Mutunga,
Chief Justice, Republic of Kenya
President of the Supreme Court

This statement was issued on Facebook by our Chief Justice this week.  He is a man of great insight and high aptitude.  I read his statement on the proposed new dress code and don't know what to make of it.  It is not often I am out of words, so make a note of this, it may not happen again in your life time.  So I leave it to you, are we seeing true colours coming out, or it is simply a case of one having made his bed (with a stud in it) and now having to lie in it.  Take it in whatever sense thou wilst!!

1 comment:

  1. Be sure this position will not persist for long. Watch out tomorrow, I shall definitely mouth off on what I think of this statement. Right about now, I am yet to collect my jaw off the floor where it dropped once I read this. Ahem! I'm off to pick the babies.

    ReplyDelete